sexta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2016

As the 24 hour Tube arrives, Justin Webb, Lucy Inglis and others on the joys of being a night owl





Changing careers from magazine writer to baker in my mid 40s was always going to be challenging. I was definitely not prepared for the early starts. I’ve always been an owl, never up with the larks and catching the worm hadn’t been on my to do list. I started waking at 5am, which was agonising enough.


Then I realised that if I wanted to bake enough bread and cakes for a market stall  I was going to have to set my alarm clock for the wee small hours, 2am to be precise.


There is just no escaping the fact that bread and cake taste better on the day they are baked. 18 months on, and while I can’t say I am joyfully cartwheeling from bed to kitchen, I do feel the benefits of working while the world sleeps.


Those calm early morning hours seem to contain many more than 60 minutes and I produce far more baked goods than I do during a 9-5 shift.  I work from my home kitchen, in a house shared with a husband, two teenagers and a dog.  At that time, I’m not disturbed by complaints of being unable to use the kitchen because the worktop is filled with bread proving and cakes cooling.


Sometimes the teenagers are coming in from a party as I’m getting up; they fill me in on their evening escapades and then leave me baking, contentedly, in absolute peace until the sun rises.


Good Souls Bakery  is a micro bakery producing globally inspired baked goods for Essex/Suffolk farmers’ markets and hosts a pop up café at The Waiting Room, Colchester, every Saturday. www.goodsoulsbakery.com


Laura Powell, novelist and Telegraph commissioning editor








Source link

As the 24 hour Tube arrives, Justin Webb, Lucy Inglis and others on the joys of being a night owl

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário